Sunday, September 27, 2015

Little-Big Mike Wazowski

Our project for today is to make clay art. I already have three small containers of Play-doh ready for my daughter in her arts and crafts box anytime she wants to play with them.
I got the three primary colors of the clay so we can just mix them if we need other colors but I bought some additional since she doesn't have white to make pink or sky blue. So here are our materials.
Our model is her 1-inch Mikey toy that we got in a box of four set.
I got a container of the light green Play-doh to match Mike Wazowski's color and added just a little more of green from another store-bought brand to make his color match the toy. Usually I make my own homemade play dough, but for this project I wanted to use clay that will last longer without getting molds and get the color we really want for a great outcome.
So my princess helped by using the rolling pin to flatten out the dough. And I patched it onto one of my daughter's plastic balls to make the body so it won't be too heavy.
I made a template for Mike's eye and used a cutter to get the exact shape of my template.
After fixing the eye to the body, I moulded an eyelid and attached it on top of the eye. Then the arms......
Making the arms was not that hard, I used a ruler to put lines to resemble fingers. For the feet, I was not able to get a picture but I always use a ruler to cut pieces of clay and help form them. I used a toothpick cut in half to support each foot, so it can also poke a small hole into the plastic ball. Make sure you put some glue when you stick the arms and feet into the body to help keep them in place, otherwise they'll keep falling off later on.
A slit using a ruler to make the smile in our Little-Big Mike's face finished the job.
I have to admit Mommy did most of the work to make this project but my daughter had lots of fun making her own creations.
Notes:
For regular playtime, I still recommend making your own play dough to make sure it's 100% safe for your kids to play with. For safety concerns, check out this FAQ page from Play-doh.

No comments:

Post a Comment